Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Bread & Porridge

The morning after...

It doesn't really matter what you're recovering from - a great morning-after breakfast is practically a Sunday prerequisite. When you're single, the morning-after breakfast could be a number of things... a second date, a time to soak up your hangover, a dish session with your girlfriends, or maybe all three combined (you crazy kids!). When you're married, however, the morning-after breakfast means recovering from a wild night of going to yoga and watching South Park DVDs. I mean, do that two nights in a row and you are hitting it HARD! Whew!

Even when I'm completely rested with no debaucherous memories, a morning-after breakfast at Bread & Porridge is always a treat. About six years ago, when I lived in West LA, B&P was a weekend staple. They offer great, wholesome food in a cute little space - it's not granola cruncher healthy, but real, fresh picked, fresh-tasting favourites.

They also have an interesting staff philosophy. When I took Brian a few days ago, I was somewhat surprised to see the exact same people working there as I remembered from many years ago. Apparently, all of the employees serve all the different functions - host, waiter, busboy, chef, dishwasher - on a rotational basis, and they pool and split all the tips. Some might call this Communism, but I call it love. And it seems to keep the employees around for quite a long time.

But enough rambling, let's get to the food! I believe the secret to a great breakfast place is really, REALLY delicious coffee. Bread & Porridge delivers on that and then some, with a lovely French press that brings rich, aromatic, and very strong coffee to your table.

What's a French press? I'm glad you asked! Photo below, definition here. Dang, Wikipedia has an entry for everything! The hardest part about this method of delivery is waiting three minutes before you press down the plunger.



When it comes to the breakfast dishes, you really can't go wrong. You can check out the menu online for an idea of what they offer.

I almost always go for the eggs: two of my favourites are the sweet pepper scramble, which has roasted, marinated red peppers and feta cheese, and the breakfast quesadilla, which packs a nice jalepeno kick inside a freshly made tortilla.


Brian's more of a griddle man, so he usually goes for the pancakes or the french toast. Although the pancakes pictured are of the plain buttermilk variety, I've also tried some of the fillings/toppings, which are great - particularly banana pecan and blueberry!


Everything at Bread & Porridge is simple, but you can taste the quality ingredients. Like, instead of plain Farmer John sausage, they serve a variety of gourmet sausages (try the Maple Breakfast - it's like sausage infused with maple syrup!). Add that to great prices, and you've got a breakfast place you can frequent every weekend.

Even if it's not the morning after...

Bread & Porridge
2315 Wilshire Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA
310-453-4941

7 comments:

The Dabbler said...

Love French press coffee, it's a great alternative to the usually disappointing espresso found in LA (the average rest stop on any road in Italy will out-do any Los Angeles shot). And I hadn't heard of B&P. Will have to make that looooooonnnnnngggggg trek west to try it out.

Brian Gage Los Angeles said...

Two things:

1. Baby, it's not that I'm "more of a griddle man" - I am THE griddle man...

2. I would like to remind all the kind readers that the 4 dishes we ordered were from 2 different visits...Just so you don't think Rosie and I are on a one-way collision course to coronary by-pass surgery...which is the hot new craze in LA btw...

Chubbypanda said...

*drool*

I love breakfast places. Those pics look gorgeous. I'll definitely have to try it out the next time I'm in the area.

e d b m said...

For some reason, i can't fathom eating a big breakfast like that after a night of debauchery. When i'm hungover, I need something like PHO.

see you guys on sunday! try to get there earlier so we can all hangout. oishii, bestofla and immaeatchu will be in the pre-party group as well.

Food Allergy Queen said...

Hi Rosie, I worked for a year at the office building on 20th right near here, but always ate at Snug Harbor next door and never stepped a foot into B&P. I'm now sad that I didn't, because this looks cozy and yummy.

Thanks to Brian for thoughtfully pointing out that you are not piggies eating four portions. I know for sure that you are a skinny Minnie, so I know that it's not all going into you!

BTW, what kind of camera are you using? Your food shots are consistently gorgeous (the eyeline is PERFECT ar ar). Kishari

Colleen Cuisine said...

Dabbler - yes, the French press is a good one. Nice and STRONG! And less expensive than a trip to Italy ;)

BGage - today that constitutes 2 meals. In our first few months, that was ONE meal (hence, the "honeymoon 10")

Chubbypanda - hope you're able to check it out... it's yummy!

EDnBM - yeah, Pho is good. But I'm all for a big meal the next morning (even Doughboy's!). We'll be there bright and early Sunday - Section P, row 1, seats 10-12. I'll give you a call!

Kishari - you've gotta check out B&P. Snug Harbor is good, but B&P is cleaner tasting, less greasy. Thanks for the nice compliment on the photos too! I am just using a Canon SD-10 (point-and-shoot), but I've been playing with the focus and depth of field. Photoshop is my friend too =)

Daily Gluttony said...

omg, omg!!! we used to go to this place all the time when i was in college & lived on the west-si-yide! i LOVE their french pressed coffee! my friends and i used to make fun of the cute little guy who'd bring us our coffee and say "OK, you wait TREE minutes and 'den you PRESS" every single time! so cute!