Monday, July 03, 2006

Famima!! in West Hollywood

If you could design the perfect mini mart, what would it have in it? Mine would have great sushi and salads, drinks from all parts of the world, and shelves stuffed full of exotic snacks. Not just any snacks, but the kind you usually have to search all over Japan/Korea/China-towns for: Hi-Chew, Pocky, Pretz, Shrimp Chips, etc.

Until now, I had enjoyed combing Los Angeles for fun and unusual treats. Now, I'm pretty happy to know that I can find them all in one place: Famima!!

Really, I'm not that excited, the exclamation points are part of the name. My discovery of Famima!! warrants maybe one exclamation point. "!". There you go.

Famima!! is the American version of Family Mart, a popular chain in Asia. And just in case you were curious about whether or not this is the place for you, their Web site offers a rather frank description of their target market and their full-scale rollout plan:

(psst, Famima!!, these are the types of things you usually don't broadcast on your Web site... !!!!)

The West Hollywood Famima!! (OK, the exclamation points are getting annoying) has a ton of great options for lunch. Everything from sushi to panini to spaghetti to dim sum, all cutely wrapped and packaged with nutritional content information. The food looked pretty fresh - everything is date and time stamped too.

I went in to Famima thinking it was just a lunch-on-the-go place and discovered it's more like a really killer 7-11. Minus the mystery hot dogs and Slurpees.


For one thing, Famima has Pocky, and lots of it!

They even have a couple flavours I hadn't seen before, like Pine Pocky (most likely pineapple, not pine tree flavoured), and Coconut Pocky. I didn't buy any, but YUM, I'll have to go back and try them soon.

The drink section is stocked full of fun things to drink, such as Calpico, which I first fell in love with when I had it as Calpis Water in Tokyo.


Then there's the famous Famima!! Signature Dessert!! A whole banana coated in chocolate, covered with whipped cream and wrapped in a delicious pancake. Wow, that's something. You will go bananas if you don't try it. Guess what: I didn't try it and I did indeed go bananas! Truly!! Bananas!!!

Given all the great things in the store, my lunch will seem little boring: Vanilla/Coconut White Iced Tea, a Tuna Hand Roll, and Edamame. Snooze. But sometimes it takes a look at the basics to tell you whether or not a place is good.

First, the Tuna Hand Roll had an innovative package that kept the seaweed paper crisp - the paper was wrapped inside a plastic sheet, separate from the rice. Peel back the plastic, re-roll your roll, and voila!! It tastes almost freshly made. Very nice touch. The edamame was very fresh too - much better than I've had at Whole Foods or any other grocery store.

So there you have it - the basics are indeed quite good. And with all the interesting treats in the store, there's surely something for everyone.

But the best part about Famima!!(?)
They've got great hours...


Famima!!
8525 Santa Monica Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA
310-659-2684

13 comments:

Robyn said...

FAMIMA!!!#@!$#!

The food sounds good. And...pockylicious. I want the banana thing. Or. I want!! The banana!! Thing!!

KT said...

Thanks for reminding me about this place! I have been wanting to go there forever, but I keep forgetting about it!! Now!! I!! Will!! Remember!!

Whoosh said...

Ooohhhhh, I wanna go to Famina even MORE now! Thanks so much for giving it a review (and taking pictures!).

I hope it comes to NJ soon, I think I'll be waiting a while though. *cries*

Anne said...

I love this place and there is a new one in Old Town!!! When I saw one a few months back in Santa Monica, I called and asked about franchising, which they aren't doing for another year or so. When that time comes, I may actually do it! Family Mart was there for me when I lived in Japan and it's only right that I give back;).

Oishii Eats said...

Haha...I used to live across the street from a Famiri Mart-o (Family Mart)! I love my japanese conbini (convenient) stores!

Danielle's Daughter said...

There's a brand spanking new Famima!! on Hollywood Blvd a half block east of Highland on the north side of the street next to the Wax Museum and the new Frederick's store. ;)

Heads up! :P

Colleen Cuisine said...

Robyn - if I go back I will have to try the banana thing. it's a beast though - as big as two fists!

KT & Sera - hope you both get the chance to check out Famima!! It's FUN!

TAG - woah, totally cool... you SHOULD do a franchise. I bet you'd make a pretty good profit too.

Jeni - I wish I had a Family Mart growing up. I just had Albertson's and 7-11... BO-ring.

DD - thanks for the head's up! I'll have to check out the Hollywood one to see if they have any different items or specials.

The Dabbler said...

their bao are bao-tastic. has anyone seen the old 'family mart' in Little Tokyo that is part of the same parent chain? not upscale like famima!!.

my little apartment said...

i heart Famima!! i crave their how steamy buns. um, that doesnt sound quite so dirty if you've been there and know what im talking about. the pork bun is the best...

i know two are opening in downtown LA, but i cant rememeber exactly where. till then i'll visit the one in Pasadena.

cute blog!

Rachael Narins said...

Is this one still there????
I just drove to the one on Westwood and it is gone! Closed two weeks ago. That makes me pouty!

foodette said...

I love that you compared it to 7-Eleven. My friend coined the term 8-Twelve, to mean up-scale 7-Eleven because she couldn't remember what it was called. I love that they put that info on the website, and it's so remarkably true. But then, aimed and women and yet opened in WeHo? Maybe they are too politically correct to put what they really mean.

Unknown said...

Yeah - the Westwood store closed. The downtown ones are on 6th Street (near Purshing Square) and on Figuroa.

Yuko Nagai said...

hi-a fun read, thanks for posting. i didn't think they made that hand roll wrapper for u.s. as well. you have got to try that banana thing! there, in fact, are vanilla cake version and cocoa cake ones. yum ;^J