Saturday, June 24, 2006

Chowhound Meets the Modern Age

Wizzaa-WHAAAAA?


Let me say that again: Wizzaa-WHAAAAAAAAA???

I never thought the day would come. After years of secretly loving how low-tech Chowhound was, I can now say, with a sigh, that the simple days are over. Yes, Chowhound actually looks like a real modern Web site now. With formatting. And pull-down menus. And - GASP - required registering. Yes, no more anonymous posting... you actually have to create a profile now to post.

It's new. It's different. It should be simpler, but it took me about 25 minutes to figure out how to post something. I never thought I'd say it, but I think I like the old format better.

What's next, cruel internets? Craigslist?

And by the way, dear poster, NO, you should not put bleach in the baby pool, or in the baby bottle, for that matter.

6 comments:

elmomonster said...

You know what? I don't consider myself an old fogie, but I miss the old site too. It's a free-wheeling, disorganized mosh pit of ideas, rants and voices...but it was ours. This new site just doesn't seem like home anymore. But I've registered and will post and read dutifully. And hopefully, someday, I will get used to it.

e d b m said...

I never really used Chowhound b/c their 8-bit webpage scared me off. The people on there know food though!

The new site, although organized, just doesn't have the same feel.

BoLA said...

I liked the old site too. But then again, I use a paper and pen organizer and address book. LOL.

Erin S. said...

and don't the post fonts seem HUGE?? I liked being able to see a gazillion topics and pick out what I like without having to click thru a bunch of different screens.

Colleen Cuisine said...

Seriously, what is up with the font size? I'm not legally blind - I can handle 12 point font on a screen.

Daily Gluttony said...

I KNOW!!!

there was something so simple, so old school about the old chowhound. i liked using the scroll button on my mouse to scroll thru lines & lines of postings on the old chowhound. now i gotta be all modern about it. blech!